March 24, 2011 – Updated on January 20, 2016 Ahmed Hadifa arrested Help by sharing this information Ahmed Hadifa, a 28-year old blogger better known by the blog name of Ahmad Abu Al-Kheir, was arrested in Damascus “because of his activities on Facebook in support of the protests in Deraa.” He was freed on 15 April. He was previously held for several days in February without being formally charged (http://en.rsf.org/syria-wave-of-arrests-of-syrian-bloggers-24-02-2011,39…). News Organisation RSF_en
Count Harvard computer experts among those who responded swiftly to the deadly earthquakes in Haiti and Chile, throwing their expertise behind an effort to improve information flow for responders on the ground through a Web portal designed as a central data site.The Haiti Earthquake Data Portal was designed in the days following the Jan. 12 disaster by Merrick Lex Berman, research manager at Harvard’s Center for Geographic Analysis. The portal was based on a similar Web page that the center created for a quake in China in 2008. But whereas that site took weeks to create, Berman drew on that prior experience to build the Haiti site in just a few days. When an earthquake struck Chile on Feb. 27, Berman was able to accelerate the process further, creating a portal for that country in just a few hours, using templates made for Haiti.Berman and Wendy Guan, the center’s director of GIS research services, said that in the wake of disasters like these, a treasure trove of information becomes available, but there is often no central location for those who need to access it. Satellite images and aerial photographs have grown increasingly detailed, making them potentially useful to identify damaged areas or blocked roads.“A huge amount of information was made available through goodwill, but there was no single place collecting it all,” Guan said.Of the three nations — China, Haiti, and Chile — the Haiti Earthquake Portal has gotten the most use, the two said, probably because geographic-information specialists and offices remained operational in China and Chile, whereas in Haiti the office where GIS specialists work was destroyed, and several researchers and administrators were killed.Berman began work on the Haiti site the day after the quake, and realized within a few hours that there was an enormous demand for information. Berman collaborated with a Mississippi university, Delta State, and its Center for Interdisciplinary Geospatial Information Technology, which through its director, Talbot Brooks, made available a large amount of Haiti-related information. Berman was contacted by a group from Boston University (BU) that was heading to Haiti and was looking for information and high-resolution maps. He was also contacted by staffers working with the U.S. military in Haiti as they made on-the-ground response decisions.The Center for Geographic Analysis was able to help, Berman said, because it has the equipment and expertise to store, manipulate, and print detailed maps.“We produced these maps and got them into the hands of the [BU] team,” Berman said.The Haiti Earthquake Data Portal, features a main page with a description of the site’s purpose. Along the left are links to major data sources, such as the U.S. Geological Survey, ReliefWeb, and a U.N. geographical information site, UN-SPIDER. On the right is a news feed featuring the latest Haiti stories, while other pages accessed through tabs on the top take visitors to more specialized locations, such as sources for Haiti-related data and Web-based maps. The site is aimed at people who need more detailed information than is available through general services such as Google Earth and who are proficient at using GIS programs and data sets.The information on the site, Berman said, came from “unprecedented volunteerism” and people pitching in from many locations. Information came in, he said, about where streets were blocked, where people were gathering, and where water was available, all of which was shared with responders on the ground, including the U.S. military.“There was an unprecedented amount of outreach and involvement,” Berman said.Guan said she hopes that researchers who are now analyzing the earthquake and its response will close the loop and post their analyses on the portal pages, making the site not just a place where people turned for information during the immediate aftermath, but also for analysis as the response continued.Researchers “can feed data back to us and use the site to make data known to decision-makers,” Guan said.
Sign up for our COVID-19 newsletter to stay up-to-date on the latest coronavirus news throughout New York An early morning fire in Levittown that killed an elderly woman Tuesday was sparked by an unattended candle in the basement, Nassau County fire investigators said. The blaze erupted shortly after 4 a.m., officials said, and eventually consumed the entire house. The woman was not immediately identified. James Hickman, a Nassau County Fire Marshal investigator, said the woman was at home with her son when the lit candle sparked a fire that ripped through the house. “The son was able to make it out,” Hickman said. “He tried to make an attempt to save his mother but was unable to.” The son was impeded by flames and smoke, Hickman said. Nearly a half-dozen area fire departments responded to the fire on Wadsworth Avenue, said Donald Eppel, chief of the Levittown Fire Department. Firefighters arrived to a fully engulfed house, Eppel said. When firefighters eventually entered the home, the woman had already died, officials said. It took nearly two hours to extinguish the blaze, officials said. Hickman said the fire marshal’s investigation has concluded.
The South Ripley Raiders shut out The Austin Eagles 7-0 in Middle School Baseball Play.Courtesy of Raiders Coach Jeff Greiwe.
Hearts of Oak have defended their decision to continue their preseason in Libya insisting it is purely for developmental purposes.The Phobians lost 3-0 in the first leg of their friendly against Ahli Tripoli adding to their 4-1 defeat of WAFA.This comes at a time the club has failed to inspire confidence amongst their hugely populated fan base.Spokesperson of the club, Kwame Opare Addo however believes the trip will provide invaluable lessons for the players as they prepare to mount a title challenge in the upcoming Ghana Premier League. “I don’t think it has got to do with we coming here as a matter of finances.”“If it is finances, then we could have stayed back home and continued with our training,” Opare told Joy Sports “It is just working to find an environment where we can improve upon what we have started.”“So coming here, most people think it is not prudent to be here because of the unrest but I can assure you that you if you come here and look at the facilities and how the people love football, nothing has changed in Libya football.”“It is one of the appropriate places to continue to develop. The team we played is a big team. If you come here and play them, there are some useful lessons you’ll pick.”The Phobians are scheduled to play their Libyan counterparts in the second leg of their friendly on Friday.– Follow Joy Sports on Twitter: @Joy997FM. Our hashtag is #JoySports
Egypt have hosted the event three times, notably in 1986 and, most recently, 2006, when they won the finals after penalty shoot-outs.Morocco, Ghana and Congo-Brazzaville had all intimated they would like to host the tournament but none submitted formal bids.The satatement added: “A CAF Extraordinary Executive Committee Meeting will take place in Dakar, Senegal on January 9, 2019 to agree on the new AFCON 2019 Host Nation.”The AFCON will be held frpm June 15 to July 13.Share on: WhatsApp Cairo, Egypt | AFP | The 2019 Africa Cup of Nations will take place in either Egypt or South Africa, the Confederation of African Football (CAF) confirmed on Saturday.They were the only two countries to announce their canditature publicly before the list closed Friday midnight.Cameroon had originally beaten bids from Algeria and the Ivory Coast to win the right to host the tournament but, citing construction delays and question marks over security, were withdrawn as hosts by CAF last month.A statement issued by CAF on Saturday said: “… concerning the process to agree on a new host country of the Africa Cup of Nations 2019 (AFCON), the Confederation Africaine de Football (CAF) today confirms that: formal applications have been received from the Egyptian and South African football associations to host the AFCON 2019.”South Africa has hosted the tournament twice before, in 1996, when they won, and in 2013 when they stepped in to replace Libya. They are also the only African nation to host the World Cup, in 2010.
Local eye surgeon goes on medal run during the summer at Canadian Masters Kayaking Regatta in Regina
By Bruce Fuhr,The Nelson Daily SportsLocal eye surgeon, Dr. Neville Maytom has never attended the Canadian Masters Kayaking Regatta.After filling his vehicle with medals for the long ride home from Regina, Saskatchewan, the rest of the field may not want the Nelson paddler to return.The good doctor by day and kayak enthusiast by, well almost most of the time when he’s not working, earned two Canadian Masters titles during the championships on Wascana Lake in August.“I’ve never been to the Canadian Masters before so I really didn’t know what to expect,” Maytom told The Nelson Daily from his home on the North Shore.“I only went because friends I have in Vancouver asked me to come. They wanted to get as many B.C. paddlers there to have a chance at winning the overall title so I joined a team from Burnaby for the event.” It really didn’t take the 50-plus kayaker long to become a fan favourite with his new Lower Mainland teammates.Maytom, overcoming rough, choppy water conditions, was part of the gold medal team in the 500-meter K2 (two-man) with teammate Kurt Foellmer and 500 meter K4 (four-man) 55-59 age division. He added three silver medals, including a second-place finish in the prestigious 500-meter K1 (singles).Maytom finished a measly two seconds behind previous national sprint champion, Nick Natchev from Pointe Claire, Quebec. Third place went to Keith Major of Peachland.“We raced in heats and (Natchev) was in the other heat,” said Maytom, who thrives on hopping into his boat for a paddle in front of his house on Kootenay Lake. “I really wished we were in the same heat because it would have been nice to see how I’d do against him (head to head).”The Canadian Masters Regatta has been staged every year since 1986.The majority of the field, this year boasting more than 200 participants, hail from Eastern Canada known as the “heartland” of sprint kayaking.“The regatta helps to promote long-term health benefits, camaraderie and great memories of an event well worth attending,” explained Maytom, who made the trip to Regina with his wife.Maytom, a four-time World Masters Kayaking Champ, won the only other race he attended this season on Lake Okanagan.He teamed up with a four other friends to capturing the 100 kilometer Lake Okanagan Relay. The race starts in Vernon and ends in Penticton. Each person paddles 20 kilometers. Team Maytom won by 20 minutes.Maytom said the Masters event in 2011 is slated to be in Eastern Canada so the likelihood of attending appears remote.Which is good news to the rest of the [email protected]
It was a case of Murphy’s Law for Nelson Selects at Provincial B U18 Boys Cup — team settles for silver medal
“I however could not let acts such as spitting go unnoticed in any game anywhere. I applaud Carsen for not retaliating; God only knows how I would react to being spit on. “Looking at the placing, I feel good where we ended up,” Williams added. “ We couldn’t defeat Chilliwack on this day but had demonstrated we are better than Bulkley Valley so the placement is accurate.“Which is not always the case in Provincial tournaments.”GOAL KICKS: Luke Mori has accepted an invitation to the University of Calgary Dino in the fall. Mori has been given a red-shirt position, but has the opportunity to change that to a roster spot on the team following a good camp in August. . . . Most of the squad was part of the first gold medal team in eight years last year when Nelson defeated Prince George 2-0 in Aldergrove. [email protected] By Bruce FuhrThe Nelson Daily SportsThe planets appeared to be aligned in the right place, the Selects had won the division to advance to the final and the players seemed poised to repeat as Provincial B Cup winners.However, anything that could go wrong — including the coach getting ejected — did go wrong as the Nelson Selects lost 5-1 to Chilliwack in the final of the B.C. Soccer U18 Boy’s Provincial B Cup Sunday in Penticton. “Officiating aside, my guys were ready to play and could have put on a much more enjoyable and competitive match if given the freedom to play football not this B.C. version of a game that is becoming a sort of ballet,” a disappointed Keith Williams told The Nelson Daily after returning from the South Okanagan.“Tennis has more contact these days,” added Williams, less than impressed with the man in the middle of the contest.“Chilliwack was obviously a gifted team with two PCSL players in their midfield and gifted finishing. On our best day we could defeat them, unfortunately we didn’t put forward our best performance in the final and when we began to play the officiating destroyed any chance of flow and momentum.”Unfortunately, Nelson decided to leave their game in the parking lot. The slow start allowed Chilliwack to grab a 3-0 lead at half.Playing much better to begin the second half, Nelson saw Garrett Bowman ejected for a second yellow card — the second time for a phantom call.After Andrew Woodward was injured during a collision, back up keeper Mitch Melanson was whistled for an infraction in the penalty area. Chilliwack converted to go up 4-0. The game deteriorated more when the Chilliwack captain spat on Nelson forward Carsen WillansWilliams decided to approach the game referee to question why there was no call on the play and was immediately ejected.“Many things were out of control at this point, I deemed it necessary to enter the pitch during the water break to discuss the spitting with the center official as the side line official was not hearing my complaint,” Williams explained. “My comments fell on deaf ears and was tossed from the pitch for entering the field of play during the water break.”Nelson lost two addition players before, playing with eight players, Erik Norberg found the net for Nelson.Chilliwack scored an additional goal to complete the scoring.Nelson opened with wins over Bulkley Valley, 2-1, and host Penticton Pinnacles, 5-0, to advance to the final.Luke Mori, Melanson, Michael Hii, Willans and Norberg scored for Nelson against Penticton.Mori and Kevin Lewis scored against Bulkley Valley.“I personally am a little embarrassed as to how I let myself get ejected in such a important game,” Williams admitted.
The Canadian Press ST. JOHN’S, N.L. – Jimmy Tuttauk was working on the remote coast of northern Labrador when he first heard that Ottawa was settling with former students of residential schools.It was 2007 and he was listening to a radio news report that sent his heart soaring – until he realized the awful truth.“My God, how could they have left us out?” Tuttauk recalled thinking as it became clear Aboriginal children who suffered in similar dorms and classrooms in Labrador and northern Newfoundland were excluded.“It was never about the compensation,” he said of the decade-long legal odyssey that followed. That traumatic journey, fraught with nightmares of abuse that never fully fade, culminates Friday with what Tuttauk and so many others have longed for: an official apology.Prime Minister Justin Trudeau is to attend a ceremony in Goose Bay, including Inuit singers and drummers, that’s expected to draw more than 300 people.Tuttauk, 57, will be there.“Mean, nasty things happened to little children under the government’s watch,” he said from his home in the Inuit community of Hopedale.“It was about the apology and finally being recognized that we weren’t lying all these years.”The previous Conservative government argued Ottawa was not responsible for schools in North West River, Cartwright, Nain and Makkovik, all in Labrador or in St. Anthony in northern Newfoundland. The International Grenfell Association ran three of the schools, while the Germany-based Moravian Missionaries ran the other two.They were left out of then-prime minister Stephen Harper’s apology in the House of Commons in 2008. Nor were they eligible for a related compensation deal that has paid out to those who attended residential schools across the rest of Canada.Lawyers for more than 800 plaintiffs countered that, after Newfoundland joined Confederation in 1949, Ottawa had the same legal duty to Aboriginal students in the province.The Liberal government offered a $50-million package last year to settle claims of sexual and physical abuse along with the loss of language and culture.Students who lived in school residences for less than five years were eligible for $15,000 in general compensation while those who lived there five years or more could receive $20,000.Compensation for sexual or significant physical abuse up to about $200,000 was based on sworn testimony.More than 120 members of the class action died waiting for a resolution.Plaintiffs’ lawyer Steven Cooper said 960 former students or their estates have received payments. Of those, around 120 were eligible for higher amounts for the worst abuse.“We’ve certainly asked the prime minister to be sensitive to the fact that there was a large group of people who suffered similarly before Newfoundland joined Confederation.”Cooper said the lawsuit did not seek damages prior to 1949 because modern courts lack jurisdiction before that date when Newfoundland was its own dominion.Some former students are rejecting the apology on that basis, but “the vast majority” accept it, he added.“There’s going to be a lot of tears shed,” he said of Friday’s ceremony.“I have never in my life, and I know that I never will meet a more loving, patient, understanding, forgiving group of humans.”Tuttauk received both types of compensation. He is among 29 former students who were the only ones in Canada forced to testify in open court about horrific ordeals many had never spoken of before.He was nine years old when he moved into the school in North West River. He has described how a former male staff member molested him during bath time, and how he was sexually abused for three years before hitchhiking to nearby Goose Bay to be with his mother, who was ill.“I believe my mother got convinced it was in the best interest for me and my younger sister to go there for education and probably betterment,” he said. “I don’t know, but it wasn’t for the better, I can tell you.”Tuttauk later battled addiction and worked as a heavy equipment operator. He is the father of five children and now has six grandchildren. Today, he helps young people overcome addiction.To know a prime minister will, at last, apologize “means everything,” he said.Still, Tuttauk wants to see more federal support for clean drinking water, housing and other needs in Aboriginal communities.“There’s little kids still suffering today.”