Posted in cbmqksbw

John Williams To Stop Scoring Star Wars Movies

first_imgJohn Williams has been an integral part of the Star Wars franchise since he scored the series’ first installment—retroactively titled A New Hope—in 1977. Since then, the five-time Academy Award-winner has composed the music for eight Star Wars films, in addition to music for other iconic franchises like Indiana Jones, Harry Potter, and Home Alone.However, it appears the 86-year-old movie music legend will be throwing in the Star Wars towel after the series’ ninth episode is released in 2019. In a new interview with California radio station KUSC, Williams explained that he’s ready to end his work with sci-fi juggernaut. As he told the station: “We know JJ Abrams is preparing one [Star Wars movie] now that I will hopefully do next year for him. I look forward it. It will round out a series of nine, that will be quite enough for me.”Williams’ change of pace won’t come as a huge surprise to Star Wars fans, who got their first taste of a non-Williams Star Wars score when Rogue One, with music composed by Michael Giacchino, was released in 2016. Their next taste will come when Solo: A Star Wars Story hits theaters this coming May with a score by John Powell.With a whopping 51 Oscar nominations under his belt, Williams is the second most nominated person in Academy Awards history (trailing only Walt Disney). Some of his other notable compositions include the scores for Stephen Speilberg favorites such as Jaws, Close Encounters of the Third Kind, Schindler’s List, and Jurassic Park as well as classics like Fiddler on the Roof, Born on the Fourth of July, The Poseidon Adventure and the original Superman film.[H/T – ClassicFM]last_img read more

Continue Reading... John Williams To Stop Scoring Star Wars Movies
Posted in sfwhuqdr

Haden meets with NCAA, discusses football sanctions

first_imgUSC Athletic Director Pat Haden and Vice President for Athletic Compliance Dave Roberts met with National Collegiate Athletic Association President Mark Emmert Wednesday following the NCAA’s announcement that it would reduce sanctions against Penn State.“After learning of the NCAA’s actions on Tuesday regarding Penn State and the lessening of the sanctions that were imposed on that institution, when viewed in the context of the events that have shaken intercollegiate athletics over the past year, we felt compelled to discuss USC’s sanctions in a new light,” Haden said in a statement.The Penn State sanctions, which were instated as a consequence of the scandal surrounding former Penn State assistant football coach Jerry Sandusky, previously capped the university’s 2014 student-athlete scholarships to 65 scholarships. However, the NCAA announced Tuesday that the scholarship cap would be increased to 75 scholarships in 2014, 80 in 2015 and return to the full allotment of 85 scholarships by 2016, according to ESPN.The meetings focused on enforcement and sanction issues, specifically in regards to how to come up with fair solutions for both USC and the NCAA community.“After candid discussions, the NCAA asked us to provide additional information and indicated it would study our suggestions,” Haden said.USC’s sanctions came as a result of the 2010 Reggie Bush case, and  reduced the total football scholarship limit from 85 scholarships to 75 annual scholarships. However, Haden noted that football players who were injured or transferred left the Trojans with less than 60 recruited scholarship student-athletes.“I believe the penalties imposed on our football program in 2010 were unprecedented and inconsistent with NCAA precedent in prior cases,” Haden said. “Since the Committee on Infractions issued its sanctions in 2010, USC has been held up as a model and praised for its integrity and commitment to compliance, a fact often mentioned by the NCAA itself.” Follow Jordyn on Twitter @jojoholmey Follow Yasmeen on Twitter @YasmeenSerhanlast_img read more

Continue Reading... Haden meets with NCAA, discusses football sanctions