Event Planning: The Ultimate Guide to Successful Meetings, Corporate Events, Fund-Raising Galas, Conferences, Conventions,
Howard Lake | 13 March 2009 | News 18 total views, 1 views today AddThis Sharing ButtonsShare to TwitterTwitterShare to FacebookFacebookShare to LinkedInLinkedInShare to EmailEmailShare to WhatsAppWhatsAppShare to MessengerMessengerShare to MoreAddThis About Howard Lake Howard Lake is a digital fundraising entrepreneur. Publisher of UK Fundraising, the world’s first web resource for professional fundraisers, since 1994. Trainer and consultant in digital fundraising. Founder of Fundraising Camp and co-founder of GoodJobs.org.uk. Researching massive growth in giving. Tagged with: Events AddThis Sharing ButtonsShare to TwitterTwitterShare to FacebookFacebookShare to LinkedInLinkedInShare to EmailEmailShare to WhatsAppWhatsAppShare to MessengerMessengerShare to MoreAddThis Event Planning: The Ultimate Guide to Successful Meetings, Corporate Events, Fund-Raising Galas, Conferences, Conventions,
THE Boyce/Jefford Committee earlier this week donated a number of new medals to the Upper Demerara/Kwakwani District 10 (Linden) Inter-School Championships, which will be awarded to the top performing athletes.Chairman of the Boyce/Jefford Committee, Colin Boyce, noted that the donation was made following a request from the District.“The Committee saw it most appropriate to continue to contribute to the development of young athletes in the community,” he said.The Championships school sports is currently underway at the Mackenzie Sports Club (MSC) ground and is expected to conclude tomorrow.According to Boyce, such contributions are not alien to them, since they are in the habit of making such donations.This year, following the eighth edition of the Boyce/Jefford Classic athletics meet in August, an undisclosed sum of cash was given to Linden and Guyana’s top three athletes at the MSC ground.The signature track and field event in Linden had opened the fund with a lucrative first financial donation. Following that pioneering initiative, several individuals, groups and businesses present made pledges that were accumulated and divided among the three athletes.Those who benefited from the funds included multiple CARIFTA Games medallist, Chantoba Bright, World Junior silver medallist, Daniel Williams and Guyana’s first sprint gold medallist at the CARIFTA Games, Compton Caesar.This donation to the District 10 camp follows one made by bakery giant, Bakewell, earlier last week.
Facebook Twitter Google+ Published on December 27, 2013 at 5:49 pm Comments Follow along here for live updates from beat writers Stephen Bailey and David Wilson as Syracuse faces Minnesota in the Texas Bowl at Reliant Stadium in Houston. Kickoff is set for 6 p.m. ET.
“It’s gonna be hard, with the way the game’s going now,” he said. “It’s impressive to see what he did. The one word about him was ‘consistent.’ He was consistent through his whole career. Unbelievable stuff, rarely made mistakes, rarely blew saves, very consistent, the way he carried himself — his demeanor, his composure.”So through all that, it’s only fitting that the decision to send Rivera to Cooperstown mirrored his career.Simple. Effortless. Easy. NEW YORK — Easy money.Kevin Cash, a journeyman catcher, was the backstop for many great pitchers throughout his nine-year career: 2019 Hall of Fame inductee Roy Halladay, Chris Carpenter, Josh Beckett, Jon Lester, to name a few. In 2009, Cash was a member of the Yankees for just 10 games during their championship season, and for 4 1/3 innings of those 10 games, he was the batterymate of future Hall of Famer Mariano Rivera. Rivera’s stats with Cash are, well, Rivera-esque: 2.08 ERA, three strikeouts, no walks and a .235 batting average against, all obviously in a small sample size.MORE: Watch ‘ChangeUp,’ a new MLB live whiparound show on DAZNCash was behind the dish for 1,724 innings in his major-league career. To put that in perspective, he caught Rivera for 4 1/3 innings, or roughly 0.25 percent of his career catching innings. But it clearly left a mark on Cash.”Probably the easiest pitcher to catch, ever,” Cash said about Rivera, who will be inducted into the hallowed halls of Cooperstown on Sunday. “Mariano — special, special. Best of all time. To rely on one pitch, the whole ballpark, 50,000 people knew what was coming and to dominate like that? Remarkable.”There have been many words used to describe Rivera’s career — dominant, iconic, untouchable among them. But one word that may not have been used as much as it should have been? Easy.Rivera’s career boiled down to one pitch. His cutter is something he tried to teach others, but there was something magical about the way it left his hand — the way the ball darted in at lefties and away from the barrel of right-handed bats, sawing off bat handles and catching the black of the plate. Coming from Rivera’s arm, it was truly a one-of-a-kind pitch that belongs among the best the game has ever seen. Throwing that one pitch made things easier for everyone — except opposing batters. Austin Romine, the current Yankees catcher who was breaking into the majors in Mo’s final season, echoed Cash’s sentiment on the simplicity of catching him.”Yes. Unbelievably easy,” Romine told SN. “The easiest pitcher I’ve ever caught in my life. … (Rivera) would come in and I’d be like, ‘Aaah,’ I can almost relax. The ball’s gonna be where I call it, there’s not much else going on. It’s usually a cutter. It was very easy as a young kid.”To be in the bottom-of-the-ninth situations and sometimes you build those up (in your mind), as opposed to a little bit more of a veteran and it’s just kind of routine baseball.””It’s not like he was out there trying to trick anybody,” Yankees reliever Chad Green said. “People know what’s coming and still can’t hit it. That just goes to show you that not many people that can do that. He’s one of three people, four or five people that can do that, for his whole career? That’s impressive.”Green, who faced his troubles in 2019, resulting in being sent down and subsequently recalled, praised Rivera’s consistency year over year for two decades. With how volatile relief pitching can be from one season to the next among even the game’s best relievers, Rivera’s career numbers are even more impressive. Over 19 seasons Rivera pitched to a 2.21 ERA in 1,283 2/3 innings pitched, with a 1.000 WHIP. Another number he notched: 100 percent, as in the vote for the Hall of Fame — the first unanimous member to be enshrined in Cooperstown.That’s greatness defined. Adam Ottavino, another Yankee reliever, grew up a fan watching the greatness of Rivera unfold.”I just remember the first great year he had setting up. It was kind of a new thing,” Ottavino said. “Not the closer being the most dominant guy, (but) everybody kind of being impressed by how much he dominated that year. Then he went seamlessly into closing and never let that go.”You never really know what’s coming down the pike for any player, really,” Ottavino continued. “But with (Mariano), he had that year and then he kept going. It never really slowed down.”MORE: Outgoing Hall of Fame president Jeff Idelson reflects on CooperstownRelying on one pitch is something Ottavino said he could never do. He said he tries to focus on throwing at least three pitches while itching to add more to his repertoire, but wrestles with the idea of whether having that one pitch simplifies the pitcher’s job.”In some ways, you have a magic pitch, it’s kind of a nice thing, you don’t have to be crafty as other guys,” Ottavino said. “But in another sense, it could have been harder because he only had the one pitch.”Sometimes I wonder about that: whether he would have done good no matter what, or he was just operating at a higher level.”Operating at a higher level seems the more likely answer. Though bullpens and reliever roles have evolved over the past decade, ultimately placing less emphasis on the save now than 15 years ago, being so lockdown in the late stages of games for so long — “consistency” was another word used by Green, Ottavino, Romine and others — is something baseball may not see again for a long time.Yankees manager Aaron Boone, a former teammate of Rivera’s — Boone was 1 for 2 in his career vs. Mo — believes there would be zero change for Rivera in a 2019 bullpen.”He could probably work out for a couple weeks and fit in right now,” Boone said with a laugh. “He’s that good. Greatness usually fits in in any era and can adapt in any era. Mo would be Mo in today’s game, in my opinion.”Mo would be Mo, but will anyone else sniff his achievements? Romine doesn’t think so.
Contact: Angee Lane, North Queensland Touch AssociationPhone: (07) 4725 6133Email: [email protected]:http://www.northqldtouch.com.au
The SKECHERS Foundation today announced a $1.5 million fundraising goal for the eighth SKECHERS Pier to Pier Friendship Walk, an annual event to support children with special needs and education.Media sponsor NBC4 will join returning presenting sponsor Nickelodeon and a team of celebrities – including Sugar Ray Leonard, Brooke Burke-Charvet, Tommy Lasorda, Denise Austin and Camila Alves – for the event on Sunday, October 23 in Manhattan Beach.“The SKECHERS Pier to Pier Friendship Walk has grown from a passionate community event devoted to children with special needs and education, to a star-studded movement that has broken records every year and raised $1.4 million for kids last year alone,” said Michael Greenberg, president of SKECHERS. “Over the years, our message has remained the same – to support, educate and inspire our children. We’re truly grateful to have so many join forces to realize this year’s $1.5 million goal for our kids: from dedicated, longstanding partners like Nickelodeon, to a respected media organization like NBC4, and all of the local businesses and individuals that have put their hearts and souls behind this walk for nearly a decade.”“Nickelodeon is proud to continue its support of the SKECHERS Pier to Pier Friendship Walk and the amazing work that will benefit from it, providing support for children with special needs and education opportunities,” said Sharon Cohen, executive vice president of Partner Marketing, Nickelodeon.“NBC4 is proud to be the first and exclusive media sponsor of an event that gives generously to children with special needs,” said Steve Carlston, president and general manager of NBC4 Southern California. “NBC4’s commitment to local communities runs deep and the SKECHERS Pier to Pier Friendship Walk is another meaningful way to support neighborhoods in the South Bay.”Since its inception in 2009, the SKECHERS Pier to Pier Friendship Walk has dramatically grown its event in order to build awareness for children with special needs and education. Supported by its dedicated community and distinctive sponsors, the Walk has raised approximately $7 million to date, which has helped education foundations improve school technology, science labs, libraries and music programs, reduce class sizes and save teachers’ jobs. The Walk also provides critical funding for The Friendship Foundation – an organization that assists children with special needs and their families through one-on-one peer mentoring and social recreational programming including field trips, summer camps and music classes.With more than 12,000 participants attending the 2015 Walk, SKECHERS is anticipating an even larger turnout at the 2016 event – which will include special performances by triple threat Asia Monet Ray, social media star and singer Jordyn Jones, pop group New District, and dance sensation Aidan Prince. Starting at 9AM, the 3.4-mile route will begin at the Manhattan Beach Pier, traveling to the Hermosa Beach Pier and back. To register or make a donation, visit skechersfriendshipwalk.com or follow SKECHERS on Facebook and Twitter.In addition to headlining sponsor Nickelodeon and media sponsor NBC4 Southern California, the SKECHERS Pier to Pier Friendship Walk thanks its sponsors that include: Wells Fargo, Steel Sports, The Claudette and Ethan Rickett Care Foundation, Ross, Zappos.com, Vertra, WSS, United Legwear & Underwear Co., Mattel, Body Glove, Premier Displays & Exhibits, Kids Foot Locker, JAKKS Pacific, Marshalls, Cushman & Wakefield, Caskey & Caskey, Siltanen & Partners Advertising, Continental Development, Northrop Grumman, Equinox, Chevron, and many others who have provided funds and support to provide a better future for children.
OTTAWA – The federal government has so far exempted 50 Canadian companies from surtaxes imposed last summer when Ottawa slapped retaliatory tariffs on U.S. steel and aluminum imports, Finance Minister Bill Morneau said Tuesday as he faced pointed questions about his relief plan from political opponents.Morneau provided the figure before a parliamentary committee, where opposition MPs accused the government of being too slow in helping Canadian firms affected by the cross-border tariff fight.Members of the international trade committee also said Ottawa’s remission request process has been too onerous for many companies, particularly smaller ones already consumed by the day-to-day activities of running their businesses.“You said in your statement that we’re doing everything possible, but I have to be frank that we’ve heard quite the opposite here,” said New Democrat MP Tracey Ramsey.“From the witnesses at this committee, we’ve heard of the dire consequences of these tariffs and the government’s failure to get that support directly to people on the ground. Businesses are talking about laying off people.”Conservative MP Dean Allison said he’s heard from many businesses caught in the crossfire that are worried the financial relief isn’t arriving quickly enough.“I can assure you that that money cannot get out the door soon enough in order to keep these companies viable over the long term,” Allison told Morneau.The finance minister, who said 135 companies have submitted remission requests, agreed he would like to see the relief money flow faster — but he stressed there’s a process that must be followed.“This is pretty unprecedented. We aren’t in a situation where there’s a play book,” Morneau said. “And we certainly hope it goes away quickly.”In July, Ottawa applied retaliatory tariffs on $16.6-billion worth of U.S. imports of steel, aluminum and other products.The federal government has said it had no choice but to hit back at the U.S. with the countermeasures.It also announced a financial aid package for industries caught in the middle of the dispute, including up to $2 billion in new funding and support for workers in steel, aluminum and manufacturing sectors.During his appearance Tuesday, Morneau provided an update on another category of support provided via the aid package, which involves the Business Development Bank of Canada and Export Development Canada.So far, he said BDC has authorized loans totalling $131 million for 189 businesses, while EDC has authorized $44 million worth of loans for 24 clients.Morneau noted that firms approved for remission will also be eligible for refunds on duties they’ve already paid in the months since Ottawa imposed the counter-tariffs.He was asked how much extra revenue the surtaxes have already brought in, but he declined to provide a number and only said the duties were generating “significant” revenues.The tariff dispute has dragged on even though the Liberal government reached a new continental trade agreement this month with Washington and Mexico City. The Trump administration has maintained its stinging levies on Canadian steel and aluminum.Morneau said the government is still negotiating with U.S. officials in hopes of seeing the duties lifted.Committee member and fellow Liberal MP Peter Fonseca asked Morneau whether the government was considering a quota system as part of the potential solution to the tariff dispute.“We’re really not going to negotiate in public in terms of the actual approach that we’re trying to take,” said Morneau, adding he wants to make sure the market is stable and that the Canadian steel industry and users of steel are unharmed.“Clearly, we want to move away from the current situation. So, the mechanism to do that? We’re not at a stage where we’re able to talking about that because it’s not close to being done.”
FORT ST. JOHN, B.C. – The Peace Gallery North is hosting the 6th Annual ‘Points of View 2019′ Art Show.Opening Night for the event is Friday, March 1st, 2019, the event starts at 7 pm with refreshments, appetizers and live entertainment.The Flying Colours Artists’ Association’s exhibit is a joining of perspective and interpretation inspired by 8 different photographs. These images were submitted and chosen by the Association’s members. Once Artists received their images each Artist created their art to reflect their ‘Points of View’. Artists could enter as many art selections as they chose and many different art mediums and styles will be represented. Bev Baker, President of the Flying Colours Art Association said “We even have one member that has a pair of moccasins that she beaded the front using one of the reference photos,”The Gallery will be set up as collections, with the accompanying reference photograph on display. Allowing viewers of the art to see all the different perspectives and interpretations.All art on display will be available for purchase although they must stay on display until the exhibit is over.Point of View FB Event Page; CLICK HERE Flying Colours Artists’ Association FB Page; CLICK HERE
Raipur: Retired Chief Justice of Sikkim High Court Satish Kumar Agnihotri will head the judicial panel constituted to probe the killing of a BJP MLA by Naxals early this month, officials said on Friday. Agnihotri has given his consent to the Chhattisgarh government for heading the judicial panel to investigate the killing of MLA Bhima Mandavi and four security personnel in the Naxal attack in Dantewada, a Public Relation Officer of the state government said here. Also Read – Uddhav bats for ‘Sena CM’Mandavi, who represented Dantewada assembly constituency, was killed along with four security personnel on April 9 after Maoists blew up their vehicle with an Improvised Explosive Device (IED) in Shyamgiri area of Dantewada. The next day, the Congress government in the state sought permission from the Election Commission for setting up a judicial inquiry panel into the incident, in view of the model code of conduct in effect for the Lok Sabha election, the official said. After getting approval from the EC, the state government took further action into the matter, he added. The BJP had dubbed as a “political conspiracy” the attack, which had occurred just two days ahead of the voting in Bastar Lok Sabha constituency in the first phase on April 11.