Posted in vxalkeaw

Gold medallist Brown disappointed about not breaking record

first_imgA week before last year’s ISSA/GraceKennedy Boys and Girls’ Athletic Championships, Morant Bay High School’s Marcus Brown started training for the decathlon.The then 17-year-old would surprise himself after finishing third at Champs despite the short preparation period.A year later, Brown secured his first gold medal at the championships after tallying 6,781 points; bettering Buff Bay’s Amaudo O’Conner (6,649) and Rhodes Hall’s Asani Hylton (6,517).Brown disappointedPleased, but not satisfied, Brown expressed disappointment that he was unable to break the meet record of 6,988 points and the IAAF World Junior Championships qualification standard of 7,200 points.”Seeing that I didn’t get the record, which is what I had planned for to bring me to Worlds, I am a bit upset to be honest.”But winning this gold medal is still something to feel happy about,” he told The Gleaner after his event.”I could have performed better in the 110m hurdles. My PB is 13 high and I really should have cleared two metres in the high jump as well. Also, in the javelin, I could have thrown 47 metres, but only did 42-metre, so I certainly wasn’t at my best throughout,” Brown said.”My mom told me to come home with the gold medal and I’m glad that I was able to come out here and do that for her as well,” added Brown.His coach Damion Reid, the hurdles and field events coach at Morant Bay High – who himself competed at Champs and made the 400m hurdles final in 2005 – was extremely happy for his young charge.”I am elated for him. I only made a final when I competed at Champs, I never won a medal as an athlete, but to get a gold medal as a coach, it feels so good,” Reid said.last_img read more

Continue Reading... Gold medallist Brown disappointed about not breaking record
Posted in gnylevgy

Gbarnga to Guinea Road to Be Dedicated in October

first_imgGbarnga to Ganta to Guinea border RoadThe European Union Liberia Head of Delegation, Madam Tiina Intelmann, has disclosed that the portion of the road from Gbarnga to Ganta, ending on the border with Guinea, will be dedicated in October.Ms. Intelmann further disclosed that at the moment the Chinese construction company building the road is now only doing the last three-kilometer stretch of the road and would be ready for the dedication.She said the road, which is 67km long, would be maintained for the next 10 years by the Chinese and afterwards turned over to the Liberian government. However, before it is turned over to the government along with the other portion connecting Red Light to Gbarnga, she disclosed, the company would do one more coating from Red Light to the border with Guinea. The portion from Red Light to Gbarnga, which is 176km, will be completed by January 2017, Madam Intelmann said, citing delays as a result of the deadly Ebola virus disease outbreak. She, however, stated that 92km of the road is now completed. According to her, 60 percent of the over US$237 million allotted for the project is a grant from the European Union, while the remaining 40 percent is a loan from the World Bank, which is implementing the project. On the durability of the road, she stated that two international companies — OPUS International and IMC Worldwide UK — have been contracted to evaluate every stretch of the road and so far the EU is very satisfied with the performance of the two Chinese companies building the road. “Everything we put in place here in Liberia is durable, up to standard and long lasting for the people of Liberia,” Ambassador Intelmann emphasized. The EU Head of Delegation said that she is happy that many Liberians were seen operating some of the heavy equipment during her inspection visit few months ago.She further disclosed that negotiations are ongoing between the EU and the Liberian government for the maintenance of the Cotton Tree to Buchanan road and the road leading to the border with Sierra Leone.Share this:Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)last_img read more

Continue Reading... Gbarnga to Guinea Road to Be Dedicated in October