Danny Murphy believes Liverpool will finish in the top four – so long as they keep Daniel Sturridge fit.Sturridge, so regularly sidelined with injury, made his first start since early October against Southampton on Wednesday night.He wasted no time in showing Jurgen Klopp what he has been missing, scoring twice as the Reds blew away their hosts to book a Capital One Cup semi-final spot.Klopp talked up the 26-year-old’s talents after the game, and Murphy claims the striker holds the key to the club’s hopes of securing a top four spot and Champions League qualification.Sturridge, who scored 24 goals in 33 games playing alongside Luis Suarez in the 2013-14 season, has made just 16 Premier League appearances in the past 18 months.Ex-Anfield midfielder Murphy, speaking on the Colin Murray show, said of the injury-hit ace: “I have said for a long time I think he is England’s most gifted striker.“He is a striker that no matter what is going in a game, I always feel like he can score. He doesn’t necessarily need service. He can beat people, he dribbles past people, he can score from long range.“He scores all sorts of goals and he is probably the only player I look at – a bit like Wayne Rooney in his younger days – who has that got that swag and arrogance when he plays. I don’t think it is a bad arrogance. I am on about complete belief in his ability.“We saw how good he was that season with Suarez when he played a lot of it without injury. It is a real plus for Liverpool [to have him back].“If they keep Sturridge fit, I’ll go as far to say they will finish in the top four.”
The others sentenced were former Defense Minister Sultan Hashim al-Tai and Hussein Rashid Mohammed, former deputy operations director of the Iraqi armed forces. The court ordered the hangings to occur within 30 days. They were put off until the end of the holy month of Ramadan, which ended earlier this week. But U.S. and Iraqi officials said the men remained in U.S. custody Thursday amid a swirl of legal questions and growing worries about the fallout. Iraqi President Jalal Talabani, who opposes the death penalty, said he would not sign off on the execution as technically required by Iraq’s constitution. As a Kurd, Talabani’s refusal carried special clout because of strong Kurdish desire to settle scores with Hussein’s henchmen. An American military official, who requested anonymity in exchange for disclosing the information, said the men were still at Camp Cropper, a U.S. detention facility near the Baghdad International Airport. Hussein was held there until he was hanged in December. Insurgents are routinely executed and sentenced to death in Iraq, but this case stands out because of the passions it stirs and the potential stakes at play. 160Want local news?Sign up for the Localist and stay informed Something went wrong. Please try again.subscribeCongratulations! You’re all set! AD Quality Auto 360p 720p 1080p Top articles1/5READ MOREGame Center: Chargers at Kansas City Chiefs, Sunday, 10 a.m. BAGHDAD – Iraq’s leaders grappled Thursday over the death sentences for three former Saddam Hussein regime heavyweights – including the notorious enforcer known as “Chemical Ali” – amid warnings that the hangings could inflame sectarian violence and derail efforts at reconciliation. But any serious delays in carrying out the executions also risk backlash from the victims of Hussein’s attacks, including Kurds who faced a brutal crackdown in the 1980s that led to the death sentences. The bind grew more difficult as Sunni leaders pressed to delay the hangings, saying they could incite violence and cripple already fragile bids to improve ties between Iraq’s rival groups. A court last month upheld the genocide and war crimes convictions against the three former regime insiders for their roles in the “Operation Anfal” campaign against autonomy-seeking Kurds in the 1980s that claimed more than 100,000 lives. Baghdad’s attacks – including the use of poison gas in the Kurdish town of Halabja – came to symbolize the cruelty of Hussein’s grip on power and brought the nickname “Chemical Ali” to one of the masterminds, Saddam’s cousin Ali Hassan al-Majid. IRAQ: Reprisals likely if “Chemical Ali,” two others are executed. By Kim Gamel and Qassim Abdul-Zahra THE ASSOCIATED PRESS
AD Quality Auto 360p 720p 1080p Top articles1/5READ MOREPettersson scores another winner, Canucks beat KingsAll roads will be open by tonight, but traffic is limited to residents only. MALIBU-Fire officials said Sunday that the Corral Fire in Malibu is expected to reach full containment by Monday. More than 1,400 fire fighters and staff remained at the scene, dousing away hotspots and patroling the areas within the fire ravaged canyons, where 4,720 burned have burned, and more than 80 structures, including garages, tool sheds and homes have been destroyed. Another 45 structures have been damaged, according to the Los Angeles County Fire Department. Arson investigators are calling the fire that began early Saturday suspicious. Mandatory evacuations will be formally lifted by 8 tonight. 160Want local news?Sign up for the Localist and stay informed Something went wrong. Please try again.subscribeCongratulations! You’re all set!
Vivendi’s planned acquisition of Activision would blend each company’s respective strength but won’t necessarily lead to the sharing of ideas and concepts among the game developers. Activision Inc., whose shares rose nearly 13 percent on the news, is strong in console games, with titles that include the music game “Guitar Hero III,” the combat game “Call of Duty 4” and skateboarding games starring Tony Hawk. Vivendi SA’s Blizzard Entertainment Inc. leads the market for subscription-based online video games with the widely popular “World of Warcraft” series. “It’s a way to sort of have all their bases covered,” said Jeff Green, editor-in-chief of Games for Windows: The Official Magazine. “I don’t think this means Tony Hawk is going to show up in World of Warcraft. Everything is going to go along as it had been. Paris-based Vivendi SA and Santa Monica-based Activision Inc. said Sunday that their respective board members had approved a plan to combine Activision with the French company’s game unit, Vivendi Games, which includes Blizzard and three other divisions. “It’s no longer that you can just go out on one platform and be a one-trick pony,” Cole said. “With the costs of development and distribution, you’ve got to really have international scale.” Cole said it remains to be seen if the transaction will signal future consolidation from large media companies seeking to cash in on gaming’s growing popularity. Blizzard officials said the deal would not affect upcoming titles such as a “Warcraft” expansion pack called “Wrath of the Lich King,” or the highly anticipated “StarCraft 2,” both due sometime in 2008. Activision said it is already planning new versions of current hits “Guitar Hero” and “Call of Duty.” Colin Sebastian, an analyst at Lazard Capital Markets, called the deal a “very good fit” because the two companies complement each other. Key is the addition of “World of Warcraft” to the Activision family. Launched in 2004, the persistent online fantasy world has mushroomed to 9.3 million subscribers worldwide, each paying up to $15 a month to battle mythical monsters for treasure and other rewards. Calling the new company Activision Blizzard instead of Activision Vivendi is a clear acknowledgment of the importance “Warcraft” brings to the mix, Green said. Thill said Activision would be less tied to the unpredictable highs and lows of console games. Now each time a new wave of consoles hits the market, game publishers are forced to decide which system will come out on top, without even knowing which one consumers will ultimately snap up the most.160Want local news?Sign up for the Localist and stay informed Something went wrong. Please try again.subscribeCongratulations! You’re all set! AD Quality Auto 360p 720p 1080p Top articles1/5READ MOREPettersson scores another winner, Canucks beat KingsThe transaction is expected to close in the first half of 2008 pending shareholder and government approval. The two companies are behind some of the most popular and critically acclaimed video games of all time. The deal would create an $18.9 billion electronic entertainment juggernaut,” rivaling the world’s current No. 1 publisher, Electronic Arts Inc., in terms of the variety and types of games it would offer worldwide. Citi Investment Research analyst Brent Thill said he doesn’t expect Electronic Arts or other gamemakers to feel too threatened. Electronic Arts has plenty of strong offerings such as games based on “The Sims” series, he said. David Cole, president of DFC Intelligence, said the deal shows how the $40 billion, global video-game industry is changing from a packaged-goods business that makes, sells and distributes boxed video games to a service business that delivers online PC games such as “Warcraft.”
MORE THAN €8.7m in insurance claims has been paid out to business and homeowners in Donegal so far as a result of last year’s Big Chill, sparking fears insurance companies are about to hike their prices.The Irish Insurance Federation (IIF) said the average Donegal pay-out was €59k and were quick to warn of the price increases.Donegal ranked 16th in terms of cost of claims per head of population. The worst affected counties were Cork (€32.4m), Galway (€24.7m) and Dublin (€20.2m). “The scale of damage caused by the December freeze should not be underestimated and the subsequent quick response from insurers assisted many homeowners and businesses in getting back on their feet as fast as possible,” insisted IIF chief executive Mike Kemp in a statement.“Severe weather events such as these have been very rare events in the past in Ireland.“To have had the three largest weather-related losses in our history in such close succession has put pressure on the market, but insurers have repeatedly displayed their resilience and as a result have injected three-quarters of a billion euro back into the Irish economy in a 14-month period.”The disruption at the end of last year followed another cold spell at the beginning of 2010 and flooding at the end of 2009. Combined claims for the three weather-related events stand at over €750m.The federation is advising policy holders to take precautions ahead of next winter by ensuring water tanks are properly lagged and that exposed pipes are insulated.BIG FREEZE BILL TOPS €8.7M FOR DONEGAL was last modified: April 13th, 2011 by gregShare this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window)
The well-known Bank of Ireland building in LetterkennyThe Bank of Ireland building at Letterkenny’s Market Square has been put on the market.DTZ Sherry FitzGerald and Sherry FitzGerald Rainey are looking for in excess of €2,690,000 million for property which is producing €190,000 a year under a 25-year lease that has 21.8 years to run.A strong selling point is the five-yearly rental uplifts for the duration of the lease, with the next increase in September 2016 set to increase the annual income to €218,500. The two-storey bank building extends to more than 836sq m (9,003sq ft) and underwent a complete refurbishment in 2011 when an extension to the rear was also completed.The layout includes a banking hall at ground floor level with offices and staff facilities on the first floor. There are six car-parking spaces to the rear.WELL-KNOWN DONEGAL BANK IS PUT ON THE MARKET FOR ALMOST €2.7MILLION was last modified: October 29th, 2014 by StephenShare this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window) Tags:Bank of Irelanddonegalfor saleletterkenny
TOURISM BOOST: THE MOUNT ERRIGAL HOTEL have announced that they’ve secured the contract to host the World Irish Dance Championships next year!The event will also be a fantastic boost to the local economy – with thousands expected to visit Donegal for the prestigious championships. Marketing manager Carolynne Harrison told Donegal Daily, “We have been working very hard to secure another big Dance championship for Letterkennny in November 2016.”“This November, 2015, we were the host venue for the Ulster Dance Championships, however, next year, this event is going to be in Ballybofey.”“However, this morning, we have just signed the contract for the ‘WORLD IRISH DANCE CHAMPIONSHIPS – WIDA’ on the 19th & 20th November 2016.“We have already been inundated with bookings from as far as Russia for the Irish Open which we’re also hosting in 2016. “This event will not only fill The Mount Errigal Hotel with international entrants and spectators, but it will drive bedrooms in all hotels locally and drive the revenue of the local shops, restaurants and bars.“We are delighted to say the least, it will be fantastic boost for the town just before the Christmas rush in 2016. MASSIVE TOURISM BOOST AS MOUNT ERRIGAL HOTEL SECURES WORLD IRISH DANCE CHAMPIONSHIPS was last modified: December 4th, 2015 by Mark ForkerShare this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window) Tags:BoosteconomyThe Mount Errigal Hoteltourism
Napoli are ready to challenge Tottenham and Arsenal for the services of River Plate defender Emanuel Mammana.Spurs boss Mauricio Pochettino is a big fan of his Argentine compatriot while, across north London, Arsenal have been keeping close tabs on him too.The 20-year-old has impressed during his 21 league appearances for River so far and he has been tipped as a future star for club and country.He has already been heavily linked with a move to Europe, with Arsenal and Spurs both keen, but now Napoli are ready to show their hand.The Stadio San Paolo club are flying this season and are currently just three points behind Serie A leaders Juventus.They are expected to be busy during the summer’s transfer window and, according to sources in Italy, Mammana is one of their prime targets. River Plate defender Emanuel Mammana 1
Mario Balotelli is yet to find a new club 1 Liverpool misfit Mario Balotelli will return for training this weekend as his Anfield exit is still not agreed.All players who have not had international commitments at Euro 2016 or the Copa America will report to the club’s Melwood base on Saturday as manager Jurgen Klopp begins his first pre-season.That means striker Balotelli, who was loaned to AC Milan after enduring a woeful maiden season at Anfield, in which he registered just one Premier League strike, will be subjected to the same rigorous schedule as the rest of the squad.Klopp’s four new signings – £30million forward Sadio Mane, defender Joel Matip, midfielder Marko Grujic and goalkeeper Loris Karius – will all be in attendance to meet their new team-mates.Liverpool had hoped Balotelli’s agent Mino Raiola would have found a suitable destination for the 25-year-old, having been given the go-ahead to do so in February, but links with the Chinese Super League and Turkey have failed to turn into anything more substantial.Defender Martin Skrtel, who is still on leave after captaining Slovakia at the European Championship, is expected to complete a £5million move to Fenerbahce in the next few days as Klopp’s clear-out continues. The German boss has already allowed Kolo Toure’s contract to expire.On Thursday Liverpool agreed terms with Watford for young striker Jerome Sinclair, with Press Association Sport understanding the club will receive £4million instead of having to go through a tribunal to claim a development fee for the 19-year-old.Sinclair became Liverpool’s youngest player aged just 16 years and six days when he made an appearance in a League Cup tie against West Brom in September 2012.Although he scored his maiden senior goal in January, he has now chosen to try his luck elsewhere.
160Want local news?Sign up for the Localist and stay informed Something went wrong. Please try again.subscribeCongratulations! You’re all set! When authorities determined that a 9-year-old boy playing with matches had inadvertently started the Buckweed Fire, they declined to press charges. And now that they have concluded that five partying young men inadvertently started the Malibu fire over Thanksgiving, they have charged them with felonies. In both cases, authorities made the right decision. Unlike the boy who caused the Buckweed blaze, the men in Malibu were all adults. Moreover, they all knew, or should have known, that starting fires in the cave above Corral Canyon is illegal. Doing so during a dry season of hot Santa Ana winds only compounded the infraction. So did failing to report the fire to authorities. That recklessness caused $100 million in damages. Those responsible should be held accountable, if for no other reason than as a warning to others who could make the same horrible errors in judgment. AD Quality Auto 360p 720p 1080p Top articles1/5READ MOREWhicker: Clemson demonstrates that it’s tough to knock out the champ